debian speakup emacs upgrade

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Apr 29 02:22:18 EDT 2008

I had used the shane etch kernel and iso to install what debian I have
here.  On the etch level, it's possible to install emacs and add-ons to
emacs with no problems.  However upgrading to lenny installs new emacs
packages and these fail to install inside of emacs with several dpkg
complaints. So that leaves me with a choice.  I already have jove
installed and am getting to grips with it.  I could find the emacs
packages that would have been installed for etch and install them on this
lenny system theoretically then put the forbid directives in for all of
those packages but I don't know whether or not that will break one or more
other things on the system that are now working properly.  The weird thing
about these dpkg errors is that dpkg is looping and failing repeatedly
which leads me to believe it's happening because of an unhandled exception
that's being thrown.  Any other ideas?