Bug: speech not coming up on boot

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 28 12:32:03 EDT 2008

We have made a lot of radical changes to all the drivers in the past
month or so and particularly the Express driver.  Jim Danley the
person that worked the hardest testing our changes never could get
100% accuracy with probing so we decided to do it the way all the
other screen readers in the world do it, and that is to just talk to
ttyS0 and do no probing.  So it should now work first time every time.
It will no longer attempt to probe all ttys so you will need to
specify the port if you are using your synth on any device other than
ttyS0.  This way there is no more guessing about where the synth is;
if it isn't on the first port then each user must tell speakup where
it is or not get speech.  So much for us trying to be itelligent about
finding synths but at least it's reliable.