speakup on ppc?

Frank Carmickle frank at carmickle.com
Thu Apr 24 14:24:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I have no problem with trying to work on a speakup-enabled ppc kernel. My
> only problem is that my system boots with yaboot, which isn't accessible in
> the sense that I can't tell when it loads. that's not ordinarily a big
> problem; the problem is that if i have a regular kernel and an experimental
> kernel that's speakup-enabled, I don't think I'm going to be able to tell
> when grub loads so I can arrow down to the kernel I want. I could just keep

If your machine supports pc speaker at that stage you can insert a ^G at the end of the title line in grub stanzas and as you move from one to the next it will beep.  Let's say for example you put a ^G on the first one but not the second or third then you have a clue where you are.  Like I said this is machine dependent.  I don't believe there was a serial port on the mini so it would be improbable to get serial console support working.  I guess if the bios supported serial over usb this may be possible.  If this wasn't your only machine I'd say you could use a pxe boot loader and tftp the images off another machine.  Then you would know what image you were pulling all the time.  If I find some time I will have a read through the docs on the bios and yaboot to see if I see any other options.

--FC