speakup on ppc?

Frank Carmickle frank at carmickle.com
Wed Apr 23 23:29:17 EDT 2008

Hi Cheryl

On Wed, Apr 23, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I posted to macvoiceover about my success in getting a dual boot with a ppc
> mac mini with brltty, though with an unofficial cd since the necessary
> changes in brltty haven't made it into the official testing images yet. I
> got some inquiries back, some asking about speakup. I haven't tried using
> speakup in ppc yet, though I did try using espeak, which installs but
> doesn't speak and gives an error about bad data; I read that it could be
> compiled to get rid of the error but then still didn't speak. There actually
> is a version of espeak that works on the macosx end, though it isn't
> incorporated to work with voiceover at this point. at any rate, can anybody
> tell me whether speakup works on a ppc installation, specifically debian but
> others also if applicable, and if there's any iso installation media at
> present for ppc that has speakup?

There is no installation support for sure.  Long ago and far away, maybe during the 2.4 days, a few of us were playing with trying to get ppc to work.  I don't even remember what we came up with.  I haven't touched a ppc box in many years now.  Well I should say there is one exception, my snom.  And if we ever get custom firmware built for the snom we may need speakup.  Now that you have a debian install on your ppc you should have a go at building a speakup kernel.  That is if you aren't worried about getting your hands dirty.  If you have any trouble along the way just speakup.

--Frank