Bug: speech stops when reading long documents

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Apr 24 05:01:36 EDT 2008

Hello all,

As I previously announced here, I compiled Debian 2.6.24 kernel packages
with Speakup 3.0.2 included.  I am using the DEC-talk Express.  The
/sys/module/speakup/parameters/version says that it is version 1.9 of
the driver.

I've noticed what I think is a bug, but I'm not sure if it's in the
kernel or in Speakup itself.  It didn't have this problem before so I
think it's Speakup, but the Shane Etch install CD showed the same
behavior with an older version of Speakup from CVS so I'm not sure.
What's happening is that when I read a long document such as a README,
speech will abruptly stop in the middle of a word.  Often I'll hear
"sla" instead of slash and that's the last thing spoken, as though I
tapped the keypad Enter to stop speech even though I didn't.  If I press
the Speakup keys to read anything, nothing happens.  If I type commands,
still nothing happens for a few characters.  The only things that
restore speech are hitting the Enter keypad key to clear the buffer or
to start typing characters until speech comes back on its own, usually
after about four letters.

Is this a kernel problem or something in Speakup?  Should I be changing
something in the kernel configuration?  If I just read a screen of text
at a time, no problem.  If I send a large amount of text to the
synthesizer such as with cat, speech stops.  Could this be a buffering
problem?

I had a doubletalk LT which used to do the same thing after 32 KB of
text, but that was a problem in the unit itself and wasn't used with
Speakup.  That's why I'm thinking it has to do with buffering.  I'll be
happy to do more tests to track down this bug as it makes it difficult
to read large amounts of text.  Even simple commands such as "dpkg -L
base-files" will cause the problem.