dectlk: device probe failed

Jim Danley Jim at DanleyCreations.com
Sat Apr 12 14:48:58 EDT 2008

Using a fresh kernel tree and a fresh git checkout of speakup, I ran
install which successfully patched my 2.6.24 kernel.

:::::::::::::::::::::
~/speakup/install.log
:::::::::::::::::::::
patching file drivers/char/consolemap.c
patching file drivers/char/keyboard.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 111 with fuzz 1.
patching file drivers/char/vt.c
patching file drivers/Kconfig
patching file drivers/Makefile
patching file drivers/char/Makefile
Hunk #1 succeeded at 96 (offset -1 lines).
speakup has been installed to /usr/src/linux

I built the kernel, rebooted, logged in as root and ran modprobe to load
my new speakup dectalk express module.  It could not be found and here
is the output.

# modprobe speakup_dectlk start=1
speakup 3.0.2: initialized
synth name on entry is: <NULL>
initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
synth probe
Probing for Dectalk Express.
Dectalk Express: not found
dectlk: device probe failed
FATAL: Error inserting speakup_dectlk
(/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/drivers/char/speakup/speakup_dectlk.ko): No such device
#

The synth is on /dev/ttyS0 (the one and only serial port on this machine).
After the failure above, I ran some other software and it found the
synth just fine.  What next?

	Jim