Listening to Daisy Books

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Sep 19 03:24:16 EDT 2007

Hi,
Between the two of them, that is listen-up and idair, I can play most books
which I have tried.
Personally, I do not like the listen-up interface,  but that is just my
view.
There is the daisy pipe line, a set of programs made for converting
from/to daisy.  I could not get it going under Linux, but Greg Kearney got
it going on the MAC.  There might be some code one could use.  The daisy
people are mostly Windows centric although they support open-source and
multi-platform in principal.
May be more of us should have a look at the code of the pipe line as well
as the code of amis.  Amis is written in C++ and there might be parts that
is usable as is.
They are busy cleaning up that code and putting the back-end and user
interface in separated modules.  If you are not interested in the
synchronized text or text searching, you can get your book played using
other methods.  Greg Kearney also is working on a daisy player for the
MAC.
Regards, Willem