Speakup and kernel 2.6.22.x and a question

Keith Hinton keithint38 at CommSpeed.net
Thu Sep 6 19:53:56 EDT 2007

Okay, I have a question relating to Speakup, the latest 2.6.22.x versions of
the kernel, and was wondering something very basic.
I just need a yes or a simple no, nothing fancey.
So, does anyone know if Gentoo itself has picked up Speakup again? I believe
Gentoo utilized speakup itself from CVS (wich is no longer supported thanks
to Kirk's posting) and therefore think that they will like Ubuntu never pick
it up again, GRML may follow, shortly, with is a huge shame, and a waist if
people do not switch over to Git, etc. If people can still build Speakup
into the main kernel through Git, (and if git becomes less experimental and
more or less the new stable way for Speakup to be built into the kernel) as
Gentoo does with there kernels, then I believe Speakup mmay be possible for
including again.
However, before that is possible, Kirk or someone else working closely with
Kirk, must include the possibility for Speakup built into the kernel to have
every single synthesizer driver supported (including, but not necessarily
limited to, BNS, DecTalk Express, etc.) Gentoo-sources, as of 2.6.21, and
back specifically had support for every single syntehsizer, mainly.
While this may not be practical, I to, hope that the day rappidly aproaches
that anyone can build a Linux system (even LFS) and download the latest
kernel, with the Speakup code already present in all future kernels, and
then Kirk's large work load will only be to ensure that everything works as
expected.
Comments, suggestions? Thanks!
Regards, --Keith.