another audio toy

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Nov 26 05:20:55 EST 2007

Thomas,

Your arguments are strong, and I agree with them for the most part.
There is a parallel project under way to deal with the various text
formats and present them conveniently to speech-dispatcher, and perhaps
it's the case that adding the TTS stuff to the WR project muddies the
waters some. Please stay tuned -- more tools coming along. Anyone
comparing the way this present WR tool reads text with any alternative
will surely prefer the alternative, since WR translates  an entire
document into wave format before ever uttering a sound, and that's
often an unacceptable wait. The alternative you suggest, and which I
too prefer, is to present fragments of text to speech-dispatcher,
paging through the text rather than the wave data. That approach is in
the pipeline.

Chuck