editors

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 1 11:31:25 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples at aim.com>
> to my liking than vi, but I have a few questions about it. If I were to
> use emacspeak, how is it best to stop conflicts of speakup and emacspeak

You said the easiest way so that would be stopping speakup before you run
emacspeak. I think you can just  push the printscreen key and you don't have
to unload the driver.

I dropped off the emacspeak list a few years ago but I know there were a lot
of people struggling with getting speakup and emacspeak to work well
together. I believe what they were trying to do is have speech-dispatcher
handle both speakup speech and emacspeak speech.  You might have more luck
with this question on he emacspeak list. You'll have to google for that. I
don't know where that list is anymore.

Emacspeak is a really excellent editor though. I used it on my laptop for
years. I didn't know how to compile a kernel or download a kernel or install
a kernel. I could install from a rpm package though so I started with
emacspeak.

When I had to do a lot of text editing on my laptop last summer, I switched
back to emacspeak temporarily. I would unload the driver before staring
emacspeak. I don't think you have to do that. But emacspeak will do
everything you want after boot. You can't use emacspeak to get boot messages
but other than that, you can do anything else there is to do on a computer.