editors

Georgina Joyce gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:14:07 EST 2007

Hi

Someone wrote:
> One thing bad about linux editorsYou have to learn them. I can switch from
> notepad to TextPad to UltraEdit without having to figure out what keystrokes
> to use with each program. Home puts you at the beginning of the line.
> Shift+cursordown marks the line. Shift+Del cuts the line. Shift+Ins pastes
> it. Control+f,s saves the file.

OK, that is one point of view although not really accurate.  Ctrl f usually is the find command.  But Linux editors do offer a wider choice to the user and the learning of a new command set seems like unnecessary work.  But if you care to look there is some consistency. Ctrl a and e for example.  Which step outside the realms of editors.  Not forgetting the power of these editors.  What a wonderful world, we are individuals with individual choices.

Enjoy the learning!

Gena

> They all have their own keys for the fancy stuff but you can do the basics
> without learning anything about the editor.

That's a very fair point indeed.  Sometimes, I forget I'm editing with emacs or vim and hit one of those Windows editor keys.  Derrr!

One thing I like a lot about using one of the Linux editors is that I can just type its name and the file to bring up.  It reminds me of the old DOS days, when I did the same with WordPerfect.  If there's a way to do that in Windows, I don't know it.  With it, I have to be careful which directory it's looking in for a file, or which directory became the default if I had the temerity to put something in other than "my documents."

Al