editors

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Thu Nov 1 10:41:23 EDT 2007

I started with Emacs, but mostly use vi--or, more precisely, vim.  You can screw yourself royally if you forget what mode you're in.  Also, I've found that, unlike with Emacs, I don't hear what I'm backspacing over.  Those are the drawbacks I live with regularly.  As long as I remember what mode I'm in, though, I find it much easier to move around a document in vim than in Emacs, easier to copy and paste blocks of text, and much easier to change the settings that kick in when I start it.  (I still don't know how to set autofill on or the line length to wrap at permanently in Emacs:  it's doubtless somewhere in the manual, but sure not easy to find.) Also, I find the Emacs keystrokes often a nuisance, especially especially because there's only one working alt key, which apparently is a Linux thing.

You may of course know all this and have decided against vim.  I mention these things only in case they may be new food for thought.  I avoided vim until I took a class in which some of its useful features were pointed out to us.  I was grateful.

Al