Suggestion: Speakup desktop guide

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:10:50 EST 2007

Howdy,
OpenOffice does indeed do a pretty good job of that sort of thing.  There
are a number of programs which can read MS Word files from the console, such
as wv.  As for preparing nice-looking documents, you can use LateX, or
similar.  The problem with Word documents is that a lot of times the
formatting in them is only really essential to a sighted person, and
sometimes not even to them.  The content of the document itself is more
important than what it looks like.
If you'd like to use OpenOffice, though, Orca for Gnome has scripted the
Writer program pretty extensively, as well as the spreadsheet.
Hope this helps,
Zack.