problems compiling speechd-up

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Mar 2 11:17:06 EST 2007

What I do for switching synths on the fly is run a shell script I wrote.
Note this is in a Slackware environment.  I will attach it below.  I
then built a couple aliases to shorten up the commands for the two
synths I frequently use.  I Compile the ketnel with Speakup and my hard
synth, speakout statically and softsynth as a loadable module.  When I
boot, speakout comes up automatically and I then switch synths as needed
later on.
----- Begin aliases -----
alias sft='/etc/rc.d/rc.speakup restart sftsyn'
alias spk='/etc/rc.d/rc.speakup restart spkout'
----- End aliases -----

----- Begin rc.speakup -----
#!/bin/sh
#
# Shel script to load and unload a modularized version of Speakup
#

case "$1" in
   'start')
      synth="$2"