problems compiling speechd-up

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 2 10:49:19 EST 2007

What you said didn't exactly work but this did:

# apt-get install -y libglib2.0-dev

So there are a couple of things that are left out of the instructions at
http://www.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html

1. As noted you need libglib.

2. You need g++
# apt-get install -y g++

3. If you're running debian  sid/testing, there are no libspeechd1   and
libspeechd1-dev packages.  You need libspeechd2 and libspeechd-dev.

I have my linux box talking via the default software synth, festival, I
think. All I need to do now is figure out how to get it to speak via DECtalk
software and then I will be happy. Actually, I will have one more task after
that: I'll want to have an easy way to use the software synth if the
hardware synth is not connected to the serial port. I wonder if there is
some way to auto-detect that? If not, I can do it manually.  What I could do
is have it default to the software synth and if the hardware synth is
connected, after it boots and I log in, I can echo ltlk....

The only problem with that is that if I have it default to the hardware
synth, it starts talking earlier in the boot process.