problems compiling speechd-up

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Fri Mar 2 15:57:07 EST 2007

John Heim píše v Pá 02. 03. 2007 v 09:49 -0600:
> So there are a couple of things that are left out of the instructions at
> http://www.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html

Thank you, I'm going to add them and update the instructions with the
new library versions.

> I have my linux box talking via the default software synth, festival, I
> think. All I need to do now is figure out how to get it to speak via DECtalk
> software and then I will be happy.

You must edit the /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. Uncomment the
AddModule line containing the dtk-generic module and set the
DefaultModule to dtk-generic. LanguageDefaultModule options should
either be commented out or set to your likings.

In case of troubles it might also be useful to
review /etc/speech-dispatcher/dtk-generic.conf , especially the
GenericExecuteString option. It is prepared for the case that the shell
command to produce speech via dectalk is called 'say', but you might
need to change this to suit your instalation.

Have a nice day,
Hynek Hanke