ftp configuration clarification

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sat Jun 30 12:40:43 EDT 2007

Chuck,

I would recommend creating an SSH tunnel between client and server
then doing ftp transfers over the secure tunnel, or some other similar
secure vpn method. I can't say I agree with recent comments stating
who worries about security on home machines. Home machines are
the primary target for hackers so they can be taken over and made
into zombies sending spam and other nasty things. A single infected
PC can send a million spam per day or more. People actually sell
access to compromised machines. Botnets have been created that
control tens of thousands of machines at once. The FBI recently
passed a one million mark in recording number of zombie victims.
Granted most of these are windows machines, but linux is popular
enough to become a target also. Do worry about security on home
machines. If you are controlling both of those machines, I would
recommend not opening ports at all until you need them then
closing them when you're done.

   -- Doug