ftp configuration clarification

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Jun 30 09:32:25 EDT 2007

Hi people,

I hope someone can help clarify something for me. I have two Linux
systems, each behind a firewall that permits anything to go out, but
accepts connections from only specified ports. I have ports 20 and 21
open on both machines. One machine runs an ftp server, vsftpd, and the
other uses the standard ftp client. Everything works great: logging in,
uploading, downloading, the works.

Except I want to implement passive mode on the server. My concern is
about my firewalls. Should I open other ports to support passive mode?
Should they be server side ports or client side ports? None of the
documentation I have discusses firewall issues, except to say passive
mode is useful when the client is behind a firewall. But what about
when the server is also behind a similar firewall?

Anybody have vsftpd working with passive mode? How in heck did you do
it?

Thanks,
Chuck

--