Software speech opinions

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 25 00:30:33 EDT 2007

There is another problem with assistive tech, I'm not sure if
or how much this applies to speech, but it became clear to
me when discussing ideas for assistive products or projects
with people of the type who have money. In every single
circumstance, the answer was: there are grants for that.
Since the work is done by grants, that is also a way to
keep prices jacked up. I have spoken with many people
who needs various types of assistive tech and I was quite
shocked at the reality of the situation. One woman needed
just some kind of special chair and it was thousands of
dollars, it can't be done without insurance or some kind of
beaurocratic "process'. And herein lies the rub, the people
who can make these things affordable do not on purpose.
It would seem to be part of the "club" of people who feed
each others business interests. I even had one executive
type say to me "we are not philantropists" when proposing
an assistive tech idea. He didn't get it, there is a market
and the market is not "free" because it's artifically inflated
by the beurocracy that believes you need "grants" to do
anything. I say BS, it's time for some people to just get
out and do things, assume they do not need a grant to
get an idea moving. It may be slower and uphill but then
not relying on "grants" means not being in the "game"
that keeps assistive tech away from people who need it.

  -- Doug