Problems with Software Speech

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 19 14:03:29 EDT 2007

The reason for the wave file being generated was for two reasons.
Firstly by using aplay I found better compatability with my sound cards,
some were taking a long time to start the speech when letting espeak use
portaudio for output. Secondly portaudio v18 didn't support alsa, and
while portaudio v19 can use alsa, at the time not all distros, and see
first comment as portaudio v19 seemed just as bad or possibly worse when
using the alsa driver, so as other speech-dispatcher generic modules use
creating a temp wave file I decided to go with that (for me the results
weren't bad, still much better than flite or festival for
responsiveness).

Further to the above, some users of orca have found stuttering with the
gnome-speech espeak driver (which produces audio through portaudio), but
found by using the speech-dispatcher module (when creating a wave file)
the stuttering went away.

Admittedly it probably isn't the most efficient way to create speech,
but it seems the most reliable to me, but if you find you don't need
this then why not customise it for yourself.

From
Michael Whapples