Problems with Software Speech

ace ace at talkingirc.net
Tue Jun 19 11:16:18 EDT 2007

Greg,

That was indeed the problem.  I carried out your steps and it works.  I
still don't think that software speech under Linux is all that impressive.
According to my experiences, it is somewhat slow and often dies completely
if a lot of text is sent to it too quickly.  Could be just my hardware but
others have had similar experiences.

In the espeak-generic.conf file, should I have left it creating wav files in
the command line parameter?  I took that out so that text was sent to the
espeak application directly; seems to me that making wav files would just
slow the process down even more.

Thanks,
Robby