Problems with Software Speech

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.org
Mon Jun 18 16:56:11 EDT 2007

>>>>> "a" == ace  <ace at talkingirc.net> writes:

    a> Hi all I just spent the last two weeks building a LFS system then
    a> installing necessary packages from the BLFS book. Now, I am to
    a> the point of installing software speech. Speech-Dispatcher is
    a> installed, as is Speechd-Up. Espeak is my synth of choice. I also
    a> setup my kernel to compile sftsyn as a module. In the default
    a> synth field in the kernel, though, I have ltlk as that is my
    a> primary synth. I have verified that Speech-Dispatcher and
    a> Speechd-up are working because I performed the speechd-up probe
    a> test and it was spoken. The problem happens when I do modprobe
    a> speakup_sftsyn. The system simply freezes; no speech, no beeps,
    a> nothing. In fact, I'm forced to restart forcefully with the ower
    a> button. Where should I look to find whatever error may be
    a> occurring? If I need to get sighted assistance, that's not a
    a> problem.

It seems that modprobe freezes. You can test it if you will have the
other console and there you do killall modprobe, then do modprobe
speakup_softsyn again, I think that will works. If yes, you can use the
script which I sent here in one of previous email.

Have a nice day

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008