My perspective on the console

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 16 15:12:27 EDT 2007

Hiya,
    The recent discussions on Javascript, Flash, etc. have prompted me to share a personal perspective on the Linux console.
    I realize GUIs have long supplanted text interfaces for the sighted user, and perhaps to a lesser extent for the blind user as well.  I note, for instance, the popularity of Jaws and similar on Windows.
    However, as someone who switched to Linux primarily because it was text-based and different from what I was used to, I very much appreciate the power of the console.      Unix commands are cryptic, difficult to comprehend sometimes without manpages or the like to deconstruct them.  Furthermore, unlike a Windows system, the graphical interface of Linux is not an essential component of the system--it's just an added bit of software on top of textual tools.  I love the fact that with Speakup, I'm able to read kernel messages, and even debug problems, before anything more graphical than a colored 80X25 screen comes up.
    That all being said, some applications on the console are lacking.  Word processing, web browsing--yes, even with all the security implications of Javascript which I don't know about, it does get used a lot--and things like PDF viewers and such.  There are textual tools to accomplish some of that stuff, convert PDF, write formatted documents (ala TeX), etc.  I love all that power.
    Personally, I realize the future may lie in infinitely smaller devices than a PC.  But I love the Bash prompt, and hope it never goes away.
Sorry for the rambling nature of this email, folks.
Yours,
Zack.