My perspective on the console

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sat Jun 16 16:26:37 EDT 2007

Zach,

What I have been thinking for some years now is that what is
needed is better command line based shells with less cryptic
commands built out the more cryptic, with some emphasis on
speech modality, like ability to have the whole interaction in
a buffer that can be navigated forwards and backwards, by
screens or pages at a time, or by many other configurable
means. So yes, I agree, the current command line tools are
super powerful but not easy to use, and much work needs to
be done there. Basically we need something other than bash
as the shell, with different ideas as to how command line
should be interpreted, managed, and configured, and then
better applications to run in such an environment.

I hope to work towards this some day, but I am starting
on a lower level trying to tackle how to get linux into the
pocket so its not chained to your desk.

  -- Doug