Stopping Speakup while using Gnome.

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 21 20:11:40 EDT 2007

You have to kill Speakup after you start Gnome.  The reason is that when X
starts, it allocates itself a new virtual terminal.  The commands to kill
Speakup only effect the virtual console that they are run from.  Let's say
you are on tty1, which is the case when you first log in.  When X starts, it
will turn TTY1 into a console for error messages and debugging output.  X
will get the first free TTY.  Using Slackware as an example, this will be
TTY7 since Slackware allocates 6 TTYs by default at boot time assuming you
are in run level 3.  Thus, the command to kill Speakup should be given once
Gnome is up and running.  HTH.