Stopping Speakup while using Gnome.

Darragh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Sat Apr 21 14:25:05 EDT 2007

Hello,

How can I stop speakup listening for key presses when I'm in gnome?
I've tried pressing the ... I think it's the scrole lock. I cant
remember the name of the button. sorry. it's late. it's the third button
in from the top row on the right. that says you killed speakup. then I
press insert and enter and it says you turned me off but when I'm in
gnome and I'm using orca keystrokes speakup starts talking again.  I
don't want to unlode speakup from memory as I often go back to a console
to continue working on other things so I would really like to know how
to just temporarily stop it.

Or maybe I do need to completely unlode the module.  but, how do I do
this without needing a reboot to get it working again? using modprobe
speakup_apollo doesn't work after using the command rmmod.
now, I may have that rmmod command wrong. It's been some time since I
used it and as I said, it's late and I'm probably not thinking as clarly
as usual.

Thanks in advance.