speakup modified kernel source

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Sep 25 16:02:11 EDT 2006

Hi people,

Shane has prepared a speakup modified kernel package for 2.6.17, which I
have installed on my new system, running Debian Sid. He has a binary
package available, and a source package. My question is:

Is the source package identical to the binary package? That is, was the
binary prepared from that source?

I ask because I would like to keep my kernel as current as possible,
updating it whenever the Debian folks release a new source package with
the latest Debian patches. I cannot tell if Shane's source package is
following the updates issued by the Debian kernel team or not. I know
the binary is not regularly updated, and perhaps the source isn't
either.

When I try to do apt-get install linux-source-2.6.17 after including the
archive where Shane's packages are available in my sources.list, I no
longer get the kernel from the Debian team, but Shane's source package,
with "-speakup" appended.

Thanks,

Chuck

Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.
But you can get a few downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh