Feisty SpeakUp

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:11:39 EDT 2006

I'm not sure what CLI is. Console log in?

I do systems support and programming for the Math Department at the U of
Wisconsin. And I use speakup every day for just about everything you can do
on a computer -- mail, web browsing, homework assignments. I even listen to
music on my laptop.  I have a hardware synth that connects to the serial
port so if i need to log into the console of a server, I can do that. Also,
I use a live CD pretty regularly to do installs and rescues.  I always use
the machine in character mode, never the GUI. I haven't even tried orca or
gnopernicus because everything I do can be done in character mode.

A couple of things I would like:
1. To be able to easily recreate the iso image with customized boot
parameters. This would allow me to make a live CD that "knows" that i have a
hardware synth connected to ttyS0. No need to type in cheat codes at the
boot prompt.

This is more than mere convenience. When a machine is down and the user (or
my boss) is watching me boot it, it would be nice to not have to worry about
missing the boot prompt or typing the cheat codes wrong

2. I'd like the live CD to start software speech automatically if no
hardware synth has been specified at boot time. I think you could do this by
checking the contents of /proc/speakup/synth_name and if it's 'none', then
load software speech.  What I'm imagining  is that if a user goes into
character mode, the machine starts talking. Speakup doesn't work in the GUI
so if you press Ctrl+Alt+F2, you get a character console. Then it talks.
That's the way my machines already work and I didn't have to do anything
special.