Feisty SpeakUp

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 27 16:42:27 EDT 2006

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. CLI is 'Command Line Interface', sorry.

We are working on making it easier to customise the Live CD. Here bare
some instructions for the moment:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

However, I would like to see if we could cover your points 1 and 2 with
the standard Ubuntu Live CD so everyone can benefit. All the required
modules are on it already.

This would not make the CD start automatically in that mode but would
make it very easy to start it. All Ubuntu Live CDs have a boot menu with
an accessibility option. You press F5 after the CD has booted (takes
about 5-10 seconds, the CD spins up and down again -- we should also add
a beep at this stage) and then you press a number -- 3 for screen reader.

For Feisty we are planning to add better braille support (see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/BrailleSupport) and I could
imagine adding support for hardware synths through the same infrastructure.

Basically you would insert the CD, wait for a beep, press F5, 6, Enter
to boot, wait for another beep, h for HW synth,  0 for ttyS0 and that
should be it. That's not fully automatic but it should be quite easy to
get right and would work on bog standard CDs.

We could also make speakup work in character mode as you suggest. If you
press Ctrl-Alt-F2 on a live CD AND it was booted with F5+3 (or 6) then
it would speak directly. This would also be useful for those who mostly
use gnome+orca.

Henrik