kernel pre-emption and software speech

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 6 10:58:17 EDT 2006

I think that those of us who depend on speakup but don't have the expertise
to help with the code could contribute in terms of putting pressure (for
lack of a better term) on the kernel developers to give you the assistance
you need.

I mean, we could write to the powers that be, whoever they are (Alan and/or
Linus?) and ask them to make this a high priority item.

Maybe the kernel developers don't understand how important speakup is.
People's livelihoods (like mine) depend on it. I literally could not do my
job w/o speakup.

With you being willing to do the work, it would be really unforgivable if
the holdup was on their end.  I don't thing anybody would be unwilling to
help if they were made aware of the problem. That would be inhuman.

Even here at the math department at the University of Wisconsin, not
everybody patches the kernel when they make a custom kernel for particular
machine. And this is a fairly small shop. Say you work in a large shop, the
only machines that are going to have speakup built in are those you set up
yourself. And that means that for a blind person, the vast majority of
machines at a facility would be unusable.

And then there's the live CDs. We either have to have special versions of
those or we have to count on the developers to patch the code. You've got to
give the people at grml a hand for their work. But it would be so much nicer
if it just worked by default.