kernel pre-emption and software speech

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Oct 6 04:45:47 EDT 2006

Hi,

Kirk Reiser, le Wed 04 Oct 2006 13:28:45 -0400, a écrit :
> Others I didn't understand the criticisms and when I asked did not get
> definitive answers.

There is never a definitive answer to a question you know ;)
But I'm ready to answer your questions.  Just a few starts:

- as said in "the code should follow Documentation/CodingStyle better
(no spaces between the braces and function arguments)", you need to
reindent your code. You can use linux/scripts/Lindent for this.  Yes,
_you_ need to reindent your code.  Projects that accept different
indentations becomes more and more tedious to develop on the long run.
- there's a bunch of global variables in speakup.c, they deserve
prefixing with "spk_"
- it would be very useful for kernel hackers (who of course don't have
synth hardware) to have a simple dummy driver that echoes on the serial
port what would be spoken by speakup.
- I'll send you a little cleanup patch (not tested though).  Yes,
speakup is most probably broken on SMP, since it doesn't use a single
spinlock (that probably explains the "kernel preemption garbages
speakup" issue that started the thread).
- key grabbing and console following will need a more generic interface,
not specialized to speakup.  I'll try to give a try on linux-kernel to
see how people would see it be done.

Samuel