kernel pre-emption and software speech

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 6 11:16:01 EDT 2006

> In your example there are alternatives, can you name another system that
> gives me speech from the moment the OS takes control of the computer, to
> the
> moment it turns off?

Kernel hackers just won't take this as a reason for including code that
they consider not clean enough.

Right. And they shouldn't. I don't think we want to be asking for "special"
treatment in terms of messing up the linux  kernel.

But Kirk seemed to be saying that he dropped his effort to get the speakup
code included with the regular kernel source because of a lack of assistance
from the kernel developers. And what Michael says about how important
speakup is might have an effect on that. With the maturity level linux has
already achieved, it's hard to imagine what higher priorities they could
have at this point.