kernel pre-emption and software speech

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Oct 4 05:45:21 EDT 2006

Hi,

Joshua Lambert, le Wed 04 Oct 2006 02:33:27 -0400, a écrit :
> I have noticed that kernel pre-emption wreaks havoc with software speech,
> causing symptoms like spelling out commands or even the output of commands
> like ls letter by letter along with slow responsiveness.  I am trying to
> find a way to turn off kernel pre-emption on the fly if that is even
> possible so that distributers of livecd linux flavors can still keep their
> fast x performance and we can have our accessibility.  Is it possible to
> do this, or would there need to be a separate, non-pre-emptable kernel in
> a distro?

There is currently no way to disable preemption on the fly.  And I doubt
Linux people will add the possibility.

That said, this shouldn't be hard to have speakup work nicely
on a preemptible kernel. I should just be a matter of adding
preempt_disable() / preempt_enable() calls around speakup code...

Samuel