kernel pre-emption and software speech

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 4 06:24:38 EDT 2006

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> That said, this shouldn't be hard to have speakup work nicely
> on a preemptible kernel. I should just be a matter of adding
> preempt_disable() / preempt_enable() calls around speakup code...

I don't know much about how this particular code works, but I'd like to
chime in and agree with Samuel that it's always better to try to merge
in with what is commonly used instead of creating a separate custom version.

On that point, could someone explain to me the reasons why speakup is
not in the default kernel? Is it very intrusive, or known to have
serious stability bugs? Is it not maintained actively enough to be
considered?

Henrik