kernel pre-emption and software speech

Joshua Lambert josh at techlab.cviatlanta.org
Wed Oct 4 02:33:27 EDT 2006

Hi all,
I have noticed that kernel pre-emption wreaks havoc with software speech,
causing symptoms like spelling out commands or even the output of commands
like ls letter by letter along with slow responsiveness.  I am trying to
find a way to turn off kernel pre-emption on the fly if that is even
possible so that distributers of livecd linux flavors can still keep their
fast x performance and we can have our accessibility.  Is it possible to
do this, or would there need to be a separate, non-pre-emptable kernel in
a distro?
Cheers,
Josh