Using a web browser in gnome

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sun Nov 26 11:25:17 EST 2006

Hello,
One of the things I had been disappointed with trying to use orca in
gnome is the poor internet support. All my attempts to use firefox or
epiphany did not give any good results that would be possible to
classify as useful. I have tried LSR but I was having difficulty knowing
how to use it properly and I think the ubuntu package for it is a bit
out of date. Searching the internet seemed to indicate that web browsers
are difficult at the moment as they aren't providing the information
needed by the screen readers to make them effective.

Wel  that was until I came across firevox (www.firevox.clcworld.net)
which is a speaking extension for firefox. Admittedly it isn't perfect,
but it seems to be alot better than not having it. It supposedly can
handle dynamic pages with javascript, mathml, css speech presentation
(so the way the page should be spoken can be specified in css like
normally css is used for visual layout) and some other features. It can
use freetts or orca for output (in linux), but I have found that orca
still tries to do some reading of its own and so you get some other
words from orca after firevox has spoken. May be if someone knows how to
solve this they could help me with it, I would just imagine it requires
a script to silence orca from doing its own reading, but as I am new to
orca it isn't yet clear to me.

Hope this is of interest.

From
Michael Whapples