Trouble with speech dispatcher.

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Wed May 17 17:14:34 EDT 2006

Steve Holmes píše v St 17. 05. 2006 v 13:51 -0700:
> I used the same shell script I've always been using.  The only thing
> that really changed was Speakup version; wonder if that could have
> anything to do with it?

Possibly yes.

> Maybe I'll have to go and try and run each of those steps manually with a second
> or two to spare between each.

Yes. That would be useful. The only steps you need to do are:
	1) load speakup
	2) load the sftsyn module
	3) start speechd-up
Speech Dispatcher, Festival and other components have nothing to do with
this. It is entirely between speechd-up and Speakup.

> I'm just baffled that it can't find /dev/softsynth when it is *REALLY THERE*.

It doesn't say it can't find it. It can't open it. Maybe it is there but
it is not working for some reason.

Yes, it is puzzling. I can't think of any reason why the system should
refuse to open it as is apparent from the log files you sent, supposing
sftsyn is loaded and the permissions are as you described. The best
next step would be to try manually and make sure the sftsyn module
gets fully loaded before speechd-up is started.

Please let me know,
Hynek Hanke