Trouble with speech dispatcher.

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed May 17 16:51:27 EDT 2006

I used the same shell script I've always been using.  The only thing
that really changed was Speakup version; wonder if that could have
anything to do with it? I echo "none" to /proc/speakup/synth_name unload
any modules then start speechd-up and speech dispatcher in proper order
and then echo sftsyn to synth_name again.  Oops, I am raddling this off
the top of my head but I think speakup's synth is being set first and
then speechd-up is started.  No matter, I'm using the same script I used
a month or two ago and it worked then but not now <sigh>.  Maybe I'll
have to go and try and run each of those steps manually with a second or
two to spare between each.  I'm just baffled that it can't find
/dev/softsynth when it is *REALLY THERE*.