installed Fedora Core 5 but have questions

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jun 28 11:20:58 EDT 2006

Hi,
I Cannot answer all of these, but:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:
> So I downloaded the kernel I found on the ftp site which appears to have
> the same version. The name of the rpm is
>
> kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5spk.i686.rpm
>
> When I try to install it though I get an error about the gpg key. Output
> is below.
>
> kernel                  i686       2.6.17-1.2139_FC5  installed
> 37 M
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install      1 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove       1 Package(s)
> Total download size: 37 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> 35571ae2
>

> Public key for kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5spk.i686.rpm is not installed
>
> So, first question is how do I install getting past this error?
You need to get the key, usually downloadable from the same place, or in
this case, likely present on an old speakkup-modified
Fedora cd.
You need to import it using rpm, I forgot the syntax.

> Second question is what would be the correct syntax in removing the
> original kernel installed by fc5 which is 2.6.15. I was looking in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf and I see that one in there as well.
After installation, do rpm -q kernel
You should see more than one listed. Cut and paste the correct name onto
the line:
rpm -e kernelX
Where X is the rest of the name.

> Third question. Am I correct in assuming that once the speakup modified
> kernel is installed I still need to make the initial ram disk so that it
> knows which synthesizer I'm using?
I think so.