crashing hard drive

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat Jun 10 23:20:07 EDT 2006

Hello,
To answer your question, most likely you can just use tar to backup the
system and then use it again on the new drive. Don't do this while the
system is running though or weird things will happen. There are two
cases when you won't be able to simply use tar:

1. If you are using extended attributes/acl's on the filesystem, or
2. If you are using some sort of program that uses inode numbers for
accessing stuff. (mail system would be the culprit here if anything)

In either case, you wanna use something like dump or xfsdump or similar
tools that will preserve that stuff. But most likely you can just tar
with the understanding that you may have to fix up your mail queue
afterwords. No matter how you do it, make sure to use a cd to do it. Do
not tar up or dump a running system.

- --
It's not one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and
over. (History repeats itself)
Joseph C. Lininger
Oh alright, here's the *actual* signature...

And so it came to pass that on Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Raul A. Gallegos said