crashing hard drive

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Sat Jun 10 16:14:25 EDT 2006

Hi gang. Currently I'm running FC3 on a machine which has 2 hard drives.
Both are 40gb. the first hd is the root /usr/local and /var partitions
while the second one is all 40gb of /home.

It appears that the hard drive is about to crash because I'm starting to
get unreadable hda errors some give a sector it cannot read others say
unknown errors. In any case the system is not acting right and the hdd
is kind of old.

So now to my question. If I get another 40gb hdd which I do have one of.
Can I simply transfer the stuff from the one to the other either by
using tar saving all permissions? Or should I reinstall the os on the
new hdd and just redo all my settings.

Right now the mail system I use is vpostmaster which is a combo of
postgres for the mail, spam, user accounts, passwords, etc and it puts
all it's maildir mail in /var/spool/vpostmaster. If I reinstall the
whole os I can easily save that directory not losing mail but I'd have
to recreate the accounts after reinstalling vpostmaster.

I'm fine in doing this because if I needed to I could use another os or
a new Fedora. But in case I do stick with FC3 will simply transferring
all the hard drive stuff work?

Thanks.

--
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.
Raul A. Gallegos ... IliwSsmc