hardware question, power button not working on system.

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sun Jul 2 16:43:54 EDT 2006

You really need sited assistence to do that.  Every motherboard is
different as far as the connecters go and you might fry something if
you plug it in wrong.  One way I found to tell what pins the power
switch is (I don't recomend this unless you know what you're doing) is
to take a paperclip or other small piece of metal and use it to
connect pairs of pins in the connecter until the machine powers on.
On
Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 02:26:10PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> hello list,
> I have a problem.
> The power button on my linux system doesn't work.
> I used to just leave it on like 24-seven, but, that doesn't really work, because the power went off, and now I can't turn it on.
> I opened the computer, and I see the wire that goes to the button that I could push to reboot the computer, running to the mother board. then, I found the wire that runs to the power button.
> Its a little tiney rectangular plug. It looks like it will fit over two pins, well, I know it will. There is a little formation of pins in a square shape rite above where the reboot chord is plugged in.
> Is that where that should go?
> If so, how should it plug in?
> If not, where should I plug it in?
> Thanks,
> ~~TheCreator~~
> website:
> http://tysplace.shaned.net
> msn:
> compgeek134 at hotmail.com
> aim:
> st8amnd2005
> skype:
> st8amnd127
> moo coder/wizard and administrator

I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs... It was very silly.
	-- Matt Welsh