back again

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Jan 20 19:10:59 EST 2006

Hi Dan,

The prompt for host name contains a default suggestion, which you could
accept just by pressing enter there. It is sort of like the old
Slackware "darkstar". The domain name is a separate question.

As for finding out what's in a package set, I really don't know how one
would do that. The manual choice is certainly not the way. That's for
folks who are already familiar with packages. I have always just picked
"desktop" and then later have added stuff one by one as needed. It is so
easy to add or remove packages that the desktop selection turns out to
be just a general purpose "starter set" for the average user. I have
found two sources really helpful which you can install with the apt-get
command. They will put detailed documentation in your /usr/share/doc
directory, where you can browse them with lynx or elinks, whichever you
prefer. Do this:

apt-get install debian-reference-en
and
apt-get install rutebook

or you could get them both at once:

apt-get install debian-reference-en rutebook

The first of these has a man page, but the other only ends up in
/usr/share/doc.

Those two should get you some mileage.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (66% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh