graceful back out of 2.6.17

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Aug 30 21:34:23 EDT 2006

I managed to do a graceful back out of 2.6.17-speakup-686 kernel a few
minutes ago.  The speakup-key-help module caused a fatal since it wasn't
in 2.6.17 so I rebooted and hit control-c a few times and
2.6.12-1-speakup-686 came back and started talking.  Having removed
speakup-key-help from kernel and rebooted I tried another kernel install
and was told hotplug needed to be purged.  That's no problem, but busybox
couldn't find something it needed so it deleted all of the kernel-2.6.17
modules and dropped me at the root prompt.  After that I removed the rest
of 2.6.17 and rebooted out of there.  Later I'll do all of this again but
run script before trying andsend the script file since maybe other things
are needing fixing. Oh, udev couldn't run stating it needs 2.6.15 and
maybe put a greater sign after that but I didn't find that either. I'm
donating that ati monitor to smartco.org in a couple weeks and have a
gateway ev910 which was a Sony Trinitron originally and got a G-Force
nvidia card for it I'm installing tonight to replace all of that ati
equipment.  Could be I get into X after that time will tell.