OT: Announcing UBT, the Unix Book transfer utility for BookPort and BookCourier

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Sat Apr 29 16:57:17 EDT 2006

[... I realize this is the speakup list, but I'm pretty sure some folks on
this list own BookPorts or BookCoureiers, so I thought this would be
interesting...]

[... If you are not a Unix or Linux user, or do not own a Book Port or Book
Courier, you may safely ignore this message. :-)]

[... Feel free to redistribute this message as seems appropriate.]

*** Announcing the availability of UBT, the Unix Book Transfer utility.

	If you are the owner of an APH Book Port, or a Springer Design Book
Courier, and are a Unix or Linux user who has an interest in using your
book reading device with one of those operating systems, then you might be
interested in checking out the Unix Book transfer utility, or UBT for
short.  You can read about and download the UBT utility at
http://www.nfbcal.org/~buhrow/ubt
	UBT is a tool which allows you to transfer text files and indexed
AUDIO files from your computer to your book reading device, using either
the reading device itself, or a standard flash card reader.
	It is important to note that the UBT utility is neither endorsed or
supported by Springer Design or The American Printing House for the Blind.
Those two companies produce MS-Windows based software to manage their
products, and they do an excellent job of supporting their devices and their
software.  They are, however, resource limited, and cannot answer any
questions regarding the use of the UBT utility.  Support for the UBT
utility is provided on the ubt-users mailing list, which is accessible from
the above web page.
	So, if you're a Unix or Linux user, and have a book reading device
which you've always wanted to access using a Unix-based tool, check out UBT
V0.90, and, while you're there, join the mailing list, and let us know what
you think.

Sincerely,

Brian Buhrow