kernel compiling

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Apr 29 16:00:55 EDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 12:21:06PM -0700, Ned wrote:
> 1. How do I get list of hardware on my system?

That's a bit tough. For starters, you can have a look at your dmesg
output. Just type

dmesg |more

to view it screen by screen. If you have windows on your system, then
the easiest thing to do would be to go through device manager.

> 2. Where can I get the kernel source code with speakup?

I know that http://people.debian.org/~shane has binary kernels with
speakup. I haven't checked, but I assume that would have source
packages as well. What I personally do is to just grab the original
kernel source tree from ftp.kernel.org, and checkout speakup from cvs,
which you can't do right now, since there are reports that it's broken
currently. You can though modify the checkout script to patch your
kernel source with cvs speakup as of say last Saturday, which should
still work, since that's from before Gill's patches went in. If you do
checkout speakup as of last week though, be sure to use at least
kernel 2.6.16, and higher versions may work as well without Gill's
patches, though I haven't tested that. To see how to tell cvs to check
out speakup as of a certain date, checkout the -d option in the cvs(1)
man page. If you aren't able to modify the checkout script to fetch
speakup as of last Saturday for you, let me know, and I'll send you a
modified version of the checkout script.

> 3. How do I start the process?

If you want to build your kernel as a deb package, which you can then
install, first install kernel-package, by doing:

apt-get install kernel-package

. Then change to the directory where you unpacked your kernel source,
and do:

make config

or

make menuconfig

followed by:

make-kpkg kernel_image

. If you want to just build the kernel modules and image stand-alone,
and not as a package, after doing make menuconfig/config, you need to
do:

make bzImage modules modules_install

. Note that if you patch your kernel sources with speakup, you will
need to run

make mrproper clean

before doing make menuconfig or make config.

For much more on this process, read the kernel building howto, which
you should be able to find at www.tldp.org.

After you build your kernel, you'll need to add it to your boot
loader. How you do that depends on which boot loader you're using. If
you're using debian's default, which is grub, then a grub user will
need to help you with that part.

> 4. Is the process accessible with the speakup during compiling?

Yes, of course.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org