Linux, online confrences, and IRC portals?

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Tue Sep 13 10:03:12 EDT 2005

Karen,

I did not mean to suggest that anything I said could solve your problem,
but I hoped it might add to the context of text mode conferencing in
Linux. If your folks are using a proprietary protocol that relies on
java, you might very well be obliged to use a proprietary client that
their service supports. As others have said, the problem with
proprietary formats and protocols is that their owners do not want
others to be able to use them, and so the only Linux solutions you will
find will be those that have been reverse engineered without the
permission of the owners. And such solutions are guaranteed to become
outdated and inoperable as soon as the owners of the protocol decide to
change their specs to exclude them.

I think the bottom line of my earlier post would be that text mode
conferencing works in Linux with open source GPL tools, but the issue of
interacting with proprietary formats is iffy at best. I am not sure why
you are hesitant to recommend to the AIR people that they switch to an
open protocol that does not dictate which OS and which client their
participants must use. Jabber would be one such open service, and it is
all free for the asking.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
or you could Jabber me, using JID chuckh at hhs48.com