which program in Linux?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Sep 6 22:56:43 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:56:50PM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Instead i want the flexibility of  not having to worry, to have
>  standard client which, when i choose a location to visit, will perform
>  consistently  at that location.

I don't mean to put you off using gnu/linux, but frankly, the way I see it
you have 2 options. One, use windows, and the many standardized closed
applications written for it, or two, write the standard gnu/linux
programs yourself.

>  does Linux not have the ability to match the standards already in
>  existence?

No, not if a non-disclosure agreement has to be signed to gain access
to the standards. I think a better question to ask is: Why is the
majority of software and specifications released today closed and proprietary?

> >This of course not the case there now, but I wonder why things have become
>  less standardized and more protocol specific?

Simple, the answer to that question is "money".

>  Consider by contrast, ICQ which can and I understand the same holds for
>  other
>  messenger programs, allow you to contact to any other user of that
>  structure

Can they? I am by no means an expert on messenger programs, but my
understanding is that what you describe is only possible because
someone went to the trouble of reverse-engineering the protocols, and
setting up gateways from one network to another. What I'm getting at
is that this didn't happen, as far as I know, because the various
messenger companies felt charitable.

>  again regardless of the client.  I am unsure about Skype, although it lists
>  Linux as a platform it supports.

Yes, skype supports the gnu/linux platform, but that's only because
they chose to do so. The protocol, and the source code for skype are
both closed, and if they weren't, then I'm sure someone would have
written a command-line version of skype by now.

>  again my true goal is not to have to know the meticulous details of the
>  protocol
>  used, but to have a reliable tool that does the job.  does that make sense?

Yes, perfectly clear. Again, not to put you off gnu/linux, but what you're
describing is here, it's called windows, and the many applications
written for it.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org