Debian question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 19 10:18:22 EDT 2005

This probably won't really help you much because it's expensive and it's
not really a solution but I just thought I'd mention that there is a tool
that is really helpful in debugging boot problems. It's a PC Weasel.

You put this card in your machine replacing the video card. The operating
system recognizes it as a video card except that instead of video output it
has a serial port. So you can connect a null-modem cable to it and another
machine running a terminal emulator and get the boot messages.  I use it a
lot when I have a machine that won't boot or when I'm trying to make a
bootable CD. It costs like $300 though.

It really works well with speakup because it doesn't interfere with speakup
in any way. The operating system isn't aware that there is anything
different about the VGA card other than that it is an unrecognized type of
card. So it treats it like a generic VGA card.  If you have some kind of
problem, you can plug in the null-modem cable and get whatever is on the
screen, whether it be boot messages or a login prompt or whatever.

PS: I think I have a problem  similar to yours. I  installed the speakup
modified 2.6.12 kernel on a machine that had a unmodified 2.6.8 kernel. It
won't boot unless my external doubletalk  LE is connected and turned on.
And when it does boot, I get no speech. There is nothing wrong with my
synth. And speakup appears to know it's there since if it's turned off, it
won't boot at all. It's exam week so I haven't had time to check out what's
really happening yet.  I was running debian sarge so I am not sure that
you'll have any luck if you go back to sarge.

Oh, one thing I'd suggest... Make sure your disk partitions aren't full.
Check especially / and /boot.