Routing Multiple Inbound IP Addresses -- How?

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Tue Nov 29 00:37:28 EST 2005

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here.  If you just want the ips
to come into your box, all you need do is have your dns server tie
all your ips to your box.  If you do not run your own dns server,
then this is still doable, but it becomes slightly more difficult.
On the other hand, if you're just asking for multi-ip access via
apache, or sendmail, this can be done in their configurations.

However, I don't think this is what you're asking.  I think what
you're asking, is how to make your machine see itself as multiple
ips.  (192.168.1.1 refer to yoour machine, and 192.168.1.2, and so on).
This is easily done using a modified netconfig script.  When you boot
your machine, netconfig runs a script that puts eth0 (in most cases
it's eth0) into your routing table, and sets it up with a particular
address.
To make it see multiple ips, you need only copy the netconfig script
(it's in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2) I think at least on slackware, your
mileage will vary depending on your version of linux.
In any case, you'll need to change the hardware each ip address
refers to.  Your first one can remain eth0, but all others will need
to refer to eth0:1 eth0:2 eth0:3 eth0:4 and so on until all ips are
mapped to your ethernet port.  Of course, you would replace eth0 with
whatever interface you're using for your internet connection.
I used to do this for softcon when I had 8 routable ips, and wasn't
using them all.  The provider used to check, and they had a habbit of
taking back those ips not specifically being used for things, so I
simply multicasted them all to the same box while they weren't being
used for other servers.
I have scripts somewhere, but I believe you should have little or no
trouble figuring it out from this message, though I can offer
additional assistance if you run into problems getting it to work.